A closing paragraph of your cover letter can either blend you in and be forgotten, or it can make your cover letter stand out.
The key here is to sign off like a pro and make the hiring manager call you instantly.
Luckily, this guide will show you how to end a cover letter in the way hiring managers want to see it.
This guide will show you:
- How to end a cover letter, so employers want to meet you.
- Cover letter closing paragraphs based on five irresistible offers.
- How to close a cover letter for paper and email.
- Why closing a cover letter with PS can get you hired.
Save hours of work and get a cover letter like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 21 cover letter templates and download your cover letter now.
Create your cover letter now
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your cover letter.”
PatrickI love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
DylanMy previous cover letter was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Create your cover letter now
Here’s a sample cover letter ending with a hook:
How to End a Cover Letter—Example
2317 Nutter Street
Kansas City, MO 66210
PM Hiring Manager
Leadbetter Phair Construction, Inc.
1426 Traders Alley
Kansas City, MO 64108
Dear Ms. Dawes,
When I delivered two $2M+ projects 15 days ahead of schedule, the CEO of Litman, Scharf & Sons Inc. paid me a high compliment. He said, “You’re without a doubt the most effective employee I’ve ever had.”
In truth, it all came down to leadership and teamwork, including:
- Improving quality scores 34% in 1 year by managing our highly successful Lean Training program.
- Guiding cross-functional teams to slash costs 22% through our “Benchmarking to Learn” project.
- Increasing product efficiency 20% by gaining Scrum team buy-in across all departments.
With my 5+ years of experience in Scrum and project scheduling, I’m confident I can help meet Leadbetter Phair’s goals. That’s why I agreed when Bill Stevenson suggested I apply.
I’m excited to share ideas for slashing your costs 20% in the next six months.
PS—I’d be happy to explain why my strategic planning skills got me a Silver Toaster Award at the 2017 Northeast Lean Conference.
That’show to end a cover letter, so employers want to talk to you.
Want cover letter ending examples you can use?
1. How to End a Cover Letter to Get Interviews
When employers read most cover letter closings, they think, So what?
Because most people don’t know how to end a cover letter. They say something generic like, “Thank you for your time.”
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Make an offer.
In the Closing Paragraph of a Cover Letter, Promise:
- To listen to their needs.
According to the best seller The Charisma Myth, the #1 factor of likability is how well you listen.
- A skill they want.
Cite metrics you’ve improved (costs, revenue, quality). Or mention an award, commendation, promotion, or even a high test score.
- You’ll grow into the role.
Employers love to hire someone who blossoms in the job. That employee is engaged, and sticks around.
Hiring managers love energy. Show it in your cover letter closing paragraph.
- To improve their metrics.
Have you got great ideas? Tease those when closing a cover letter. The hiring manager won’t want to miss the payoff.
How to end cover letters with the tips above?
Scroll down for great cover letter closing statement examples.
Expert Hint: Should you put your best achievement in the closing paragraph of a cover letter? Nope. Save that for your snappy cover letter opening.
2. Five Examples of How to End a Cover Letter
Here we go.
These five how to close a cover letter examples show how it’s done.
They take the how to end a cover letter tips above and make them sizzle.
Each of the examples tackles the closing paragraph from a different perspective, so you can choose what suits you best and adjust.
1. How to End a Cover Letter by Showing Interest in the Position
I’m interested in learning more about your traffic goals. Can we set aside some time to discuss how I can help?
See that? This cover letter sign-off shows not only read the job ad, but also understand the position and you are the person that can help with that.
2. How to End a Cover Letter with a Money-Saving Promise
I’d love to show how slashing costs 35% at ATPZ sets me up to help with Dracos-Kent’s success.
This cover letter closing paragraph shows that you are very sure of your skills and know how to get things done.
Try to think of your impressive achievement that can be put at the end of your cover letter.
3. How to End a Cover Letter with a Promise of Personal Growth
I believe my skills will grow exponentially at Accurit Global, because of your position on the cutting edge of non-US IT.
This cover letter ending statement will show the hiring manager that you know the company culture and you are aligned with it. Hiring managers like that.
4. How to End a Cover Letter with Enthusiasm
I’m excited to hear more about this opening. I’ve read nothing but good things about working at Toll Brothers.
A simple yet effective example of how to end a cover letter. It shows you are positive and passionate person that can bring a lot to the organization.
5. How to End a Cover Letter by Showing You Can Improve Their Metrics
I’d value the opportunity to share ideas for raising revenue 20% in the next five months.
This is a great example of how to close a cover letter when you have strong numbers behind you. It will make the hiring manager invite you to the interview right away.
Now you've seen 5 great examples of how to end a cover letter.
Each of them works because they make the hiring manager excited about talking to you with a promise.
But there are a few things that go after the closing paragraph of your cover letter.
Expert Hint: The key with all the how to end cover letters examples above? Reinforce that you (1) understand the company and (2) are equipped to help.
3. What Goes After Cover Letter Closing Paragraphs
You’ve written a great cover letter ending.
Don’t just use a cover letter closing salutation.
Do like these closing cover letter sign off examples:
Paper Cover Letter Closing Example
I look forward to hearing from you.
Email Cover Letter Ending Example
I look forward to speaking with you.
See that? You’re adding a reminder about next steps.
In an email letter, add:
- Portfolio website
Expert Hint: Watch out for automatic email signatures. They can piggyback on your perfect best wishes synonym and make you look awkward.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
CREATE YOUR COVER LETTER NOW
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
4. Sincerely Synonyms for Ending a Cover Letter
Generic is bad.
But in a cover letter closing salutation, it’s OK. It's better to focus on your value proposition.
Although, the hiring manager most likely read so many "Sincerely" that they all blend in. It wouldn't hurt to stand out with your cover letter closing salutation.
That's why we prepared a list of 10 alternative cover letter endings you can use:
- Best regards,
- Warm regards,
- With thanks,
- Thank you,
- With best regards,
- Kind regards,
- With respect,
- Thank you for your consideration,
- Yours truly,
Any of those are professional and show you know how to end a cover letter the right way.
5. How to Close a Cover Letter Without No-Nos
Don’t do it.
Resist the urge to be “different” for its own sake.
In a cover letter closing paragraph, “different” should mean, “more competent.”
Here are three big how to end cover letters mistakes:
- The pushy ending a cover letter method: I will make it rain all over your damn department!
- The needy boyfriend closing paragraph cover letter: Please, please give me the job. I really need this!!!
- The wacky closing cover letters method: Okay, enough with the yak yak, right? Let’s get on to the resume.
Those how to end a cover letter examples get attention like Steve Urkel.
Cover Letter Closing Salutations to Avoid
This may go without saying, but—
Shun these how to close a cover letter salutations like the plague.
- Take it easy,
- Have a nice day,
- Take care,
- Yours faithfully,
- See you soon,
What’s wrong with those ways of closing a cover letter?
They’re a few degrees from professional. In the yours sincerely vs yours faithfully fight, sincerely always wins.
How to Sign a Cover Letter
If you are applying online, you don't need to sign off your cover letter. However, if you are applying offline you should put your signature below the closing statement, above your printed-out name.
Expert Hint: One more closing line cover letter habit to avoid? The ever-boring “Thank you for your time.”
With ResumeLab’s resume builder you’ll write your resume in a flash. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
CREATE YOUR RESUME NOW
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Just pick one of 21 resume templates and get started now.
Here’s a recap of how to end a cover letter:
- End a cover letter with a promise. Promise listening, growth, enthusiasm, skills, or improving the company’s metrics.
- Use achievements in cover letter closing paragraphs like costs slashed, revenue raised, or quality improved.
- Include a “PS.” A closing for cover letters with PS draws the eye like a magnet. It can get the hiring manager to read your resume.
- Use a cover letter closing salutation sincerely synonym. Try best regards, warm regards, or the old standby sincerely.
Need more help? Check out these cover letter resources:
- Our full guide onhow to write a cover letter.
- Learn How to Start a cover letter.
- We asked recruiters whether cover letters are necessary. The answer should not surprise you!
- Learn how to format a cover letter to land more interviews.
- Browse through our collection of cover letter examplesand compare it to your own.
Got more questions on how to end a cover letter? Want cover letter closing statement help? Leave a comment. We’re happy to reply.